New for 2023 from IWI US is an American version of IWI’s Carmel rifle. With the same 2 position gas selector and cold hammer forged, chrome line free-floated barrel as the international Carmel, the US semiautomatic only version has some cosmetic differences that may be a better fit for the US market. Let’s take a look.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to follow and signup for notifications!
[SHOT 2023] IWI US Carmel Rifle
The standout features of the IWI US Carmel that I noticed was the MLOK fore-end, which gives the rifle a sleeker look than the international version. The vertical grip is also different, with the US version having a grip from B5 systems. The safety sector also requires a very short throw from safe to fire. The trigger group in the Carmel is specific to the platform and not interchangeable with AR15 triggers. Disassembly was very easy, and can be done from the rear of the rifle when the stock is folded.
Per IWI US:
The IWI US CARMEL rifle is a semiautomatic, short stroke, gas piston rifle. Made from superior steel, aviation grade aluminum and high strength impact modified polymer for outstanding performance in all environmental conditions. The rifle has a locking, rotating bolt system ensuring maximum safety for the user. IWI US CARMEL is fully ambidextrous and can be easily customized with MLOK rails at the 3, 6 and 9 position to allow compatibility with various accessories.Features:
- Short-stroke gas piston
- Completely ambidextrous and can be converted easily in the field
- 2 position gas regulator – (Regular, Suppressor)
- Cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined, free-floating barrel, for enhanced accuracy & prolonged life cycle
- Hard-anodized monolithic aluminum MIL-STD 1913 Rail
- MLOK accessory rails at the 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions
Advantages and Benefits:
- Designed for minimum operator and armorer level maintenance
- All the metal parts of the weapon are corrosion resistant
- Body built with high strength impact modified polymer
- Uses any NATO MIL STD 5.56 Steel, aluminum, or polymer magazines
Optimized Ergonomic Design:
- Side folding stock with variable length of pull and comb height – the weapon can be fired with a folded stock
- Fully ambidextrous: safety lever, magazine release, bolt catch, non-reciprocating charging handle
- Enlarged trigger guard for easier access for glove use
- 3 points of sling attachments QD or Cord
Model Number(s) CSR16 Caliber 5.56 NATO Action Semi-auto Operating System 2 position gas regulator, Rotating locking bolt Magazine Type MAGPUL PMAG GEN M3 with Window Magazine Capacity 30 Round Barrel Material Free-floating, Chrome lined, Cold hammer forged Barrel Length 16″ Overall Length 26 3/4″ Stock folded, 33 3/4″ Stock collapsed, 37 1/4″ Stock extended Weight 8 Lbs 2 Oz without Magazine Rifling 1:7″ Twist, 6 RH Grooves (5.56 NATO) MSRP $1,799
For more information, please visit IWI US.
TFB and TFBTV’s coverage of SHOT Show 2023 is proudly sponsored by 5.11 Tactical. Click here to check out their new products.